Hello everyone, today we’re gonna continue on our series of how to play all the classes in Tainted Grail, and today I’m gonna share with you how to make your Berserker kill almost every enemy with one attack.
The Berserker – Basics
With the Berserker you can accumulate ultimate charges by getting hit by the enemies, and your ultimate ability when activated, grants you the ability to Lifesteal, and the percentage of life you recover from each hit depends on how many ultimate charges you have. With four charges you will receive twenty-five percent, eight charges will give you sixty percent, and twelve charges give you one hundred percent. So its a pretty good way on staying healthy and not get killed, BUT that’s not the way we are going to play!
Berserkers are at their best when their health is low. So close to death, is when you will be able to deal the most amount of damage, so that is the reason that in this build, we will focus on having less or equal to 25% health during the run so that we can kill our enemies as fast as possible.
When doing the low HP build, our main focus will be on acquiring the best passives, since our main goal is to deal as much damage as possible, our deck should consist of having cards that deal high damage. The deck above is what we used towards the endgame.
- Small Strikes, Rain of Swords and Rapid Attacks are good way on hitting many and the same target multiple times.
- Shield Slam can be good as an AOE too
- Cards that reduce enemy armor are also great, so Crawling Fire is a great choice to keep until you get a better Armor Reduction card
- And having cards that deal high damage like Skull Cracker and Rapid Attack is great, since duplicating them is a big way on dealing damage!
Our focus is to always draw the cards that are the most useful to us, so having a thinner deck can help with that. If you’re not sure how to create a deck like that, be sure to check out my tutorial on how to do that here.
Passives do rely a little bit on Luck, but if we can choose we would take the following:
- Trance grants you +1 Energy if under 50% health. That’s free energy for us
- Fear grants the first 3 strikes an 25 Armor Reduction on all Enemies
- Frenzy lets us turbo charge our damage with a 75% boost if we are below 25% health
- Our Main Passive is Deathcrush which duplicates every Attack-Type Card if we are below 25% health. That’s a huge damage increase!
- Rampage deals a free 50% damage hit at the start of combat. This damage is further increased by 50% for each 10% health lost. So if we go 25% health, that means a free hit for 200% damage. Nice!
- Bulwark is a fine starter Passive which grants us 40 Armor on being on 25% health. Can be switched/complemented with an Common Ethel Runestone
- Taste of Blood Duplicates the next Attack Card played if we kill an Enemy
- Vitality grants +75 HP that can help us maintain a safer 25%
- Wide Swings deal a free 50% damage hit on killing an enemy
- Calm Mind will help us survive the first few Combats or bad Combats since the first 3 hits will only deal 1 HP damage
- Corpse Shield grants us 50 Armor and 1 Energy if we kill an Enemy
- Soul Trap grants us +3 max HP on winning a fight. That can push our safety net a little bit up each fight
- Last Call grants us 200% damage if we have 3 or less cards. This can be combined really good with the duplication effects from Passives and Runestones.
- Blood Insides grants us 100% damage if we fight a single enemy
- Fortified is fine at the start of the run. It grants us 75 Armor for 1 turn. This can also be accomplished with Runestones. Falls of in Area 2.
- Amok grants us 4 Ultimate Charges at the start of each combat. It can be used with the Mastery Remorseless Assault, but we also get Lifesteal, so that would push us out of the 25% health
- Berserker Rage grants us 100% damage for the next hit on using our Ultimate Ability
- Vampirism grants us 10% Lifesteal if our Ultimate is fully Charged.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy grants us 50% more powerful Lifesteal if we are below 25% health
- All of these are kinda bad, because they rely on being hit, so its not an option for us:
- Plague Wielder grants you 10 Armor for 2 turns
- Pain Tolerance grants us 10 Armor next turn
- Division gives us a 20% damage reflection Cleave
- Punishment retaliates the first Hit for 100% received damage
- Deadly Impetus gives us 25% more damage each time we get Armor
- Burning Blood Retaliates All received Hits with 10 damage
- Power of Sacrifice lets us draw a card on hit and also cost reduced by 1 if we are below 25% health
- Pendulum increases our damage by 3% for the rest of combat on being hit
- Blood-Fueled Rage increases our damage by 25% for each received hit
- Steel Barrier grants us an additional Ultimate Charge on our first blocked Hit each turn
- Flesh Barrier grants us an Ultimate Charge if our Barrier is damage
Many useless Passives, but hey so many “On-Hit” triggers look like that could be another build! Maybe for another time
For our mastery, we choose Remorseless Assault. When using our ultimate, it stuns all enemies and allows you to draw two cards with their energy cost reduced by one. This is the only fine option we have. I wish there would be better Masteries for a low health Berserker.
All the other Masteries are not that useful since using the ultimate will grant us Lifesteal. That’s counter productive to this low health build. But for completeness a short overview:
- Blood-Oath grants you 200% damage on using your Ultimate Ability with 8 or more charges.
- Blood-Drinker recharges your Ultimate Ability if you kill an Enemy while having the Ultimate Ability active
- Trembling Clash is an Armor Reduction Effect added to all your attacks while using the ultimate
- Born for Combat grants you an additional Ultimate Charge on being hit
With our Runestones we have many options, but there are also some Runestones that are better than others. So lets have a look at those:
- Mythical Ger will grant us up to 25%/50%/75% extra damage for each weapon slot used
- Mythical Haegl will grant us up to 100%/200%/300% damage if fully charged
- Common Calc will help us to win normal battles on turn one through drawing 1/2/3 additional card which are cost reduced by 1. That will make sure that we can draw a Skullcracker or Shield Slam
- Mythical Ur will cost reduced every 5th/4th/3rd card played. Effectively this will grant us a free card each turn
- Mythical Yr lets our 5th/4th/3nd card being duplicated. A Skullcracker is a really good target for this.
- Common Tir which would grant us up 50%/75%/100% damage for 1/2/3 turn(s)
- Common Ethel are fine to get increased Armor 10/17/30 are great at the start of the run. This will help us survive until we get what we need.
- Rare Feoh are fine for damage increase 100%/175%/300% or card draw 1/2/3 with cost reduction by 1
- Rare Peorth can be switched for a Common Tir instead of having 50%/80%/150% more damage which is decreasing each turn by 5%. But still fine if the fight does not take long.
- Common Gar to get more base damage 2/4/6 are fine at the start but later they fall off
- Common Stan for increased Health 10/17/30 or the Armor Reduction are not necessary
- An Common Eolh are only good on Level 3, but how on earth to get that far. On Level 1 they grant you every third turn maximum damage or minimum damage on enemies afterwards every 2nd or every turn on level 3. Since with Patch 1.2 these have been downgraded from Rare to Common its easier to reach lvl 3, but still hard.
- Rare Gweorth with Armor reduction or gain are not necessary
- Rare Gyfu is an extra Hit or Barrier but only on not playing many cards.
- Rare Lor with 10%/18%/30% Lifesteal is totally unnecessary
- A rare Ken to duplicate on every 13th/7th/4th card played is way to slow
- Common Man are always bad
- In order to make use of a rare Nyd you would have to not use all your Energy. I would rather play any card from our thin deck.
- Rare Os are a really bad healing stone for 1%/2%/3% after a battle
- Rare Wyn grant you 100%/175%/300% more damage on each applied Stun. Since we are not going for Stuns its not that useful.
- Mystical Beorc grant us an extra energy after every 3rd/2nd/1st turn. BUT we do not want the fight to last that long
- Mystical Daeg grant or improves barrier. We don’t need that here.
- Mystical Ear will grant is energy on having many cards or keeping unused energy.
- Mystical Ing will give us a chance for Healing Mixtures or Candles
- Mystical Lagu decreased Barrier value for the enemy or grants us Barrier
- Mystical Thorn also a Barrier thing
Lets have a look at good or bad items for this class to use. Everything that help us draw if necessary is good:
- Talking Skull lets you draw 3/4/5 cards and after 1 upgrade also cost reduced by 1. Really good defensive option to draw a Stun card if none was drawn. As offensive option you can push out so much damage if you want through the extra cards.
- Tome of Knowledge also lets you just draw 1/2/3 more cards. Extra Draw = More Damage
- Wodden Flute with “A Stunning Song” is the best option in the game. 50% chance to Stun on each and every enemy. Can be used once per Battle and acquired from the Pied Piper. Getting this song might take a while.
- Gnawed Foot as an Escape Option is a lifesaver
- Acid Bomb reduce enemy Armor is great to kill on turn 1 if damage is lacking a bit
- Acid Flask same as the Bomb but single target
- Berserker Potion can be used to get more damage if you can Stun with a Shield Slam or are sure you can kill on this turn
- Consecrated Oil to get 100% extra damage is fine
- Healing Mixture of course is fine
- If you play a thin deck then Wayfarer Leaves are fine on the endless mode. You can trade Healing Mixtures against these to get free energy.
- Meat is a way worse way to heal than a Healing Mixture
- Oversaturated Runestone to fill your Ultimate sound ok, but I with all the mentioned Passives and Masteries we have enough charges.
- Sharpening Stone is mathematical good, but i a little bit to random for my taste
- Smoke Bomb to decrease damage is totally unnecessary, but still nice for endless runs
- Throwing Knives are not necessary to deal damage
- Warding Lore to get Barrier is not needed
So what should you prioritize in battle? Its easy, if you are sure you can kill everyone fast, then Skullcracker for Damage, if unsure then Shield Slam for AOE Stun and then Damage. With all that Stun you should roll quite easily through the difficulties. It was one of the fastes runs I ever had.
If you want to read more about Tainted Grail: Conquest here is list of interesting articles:
If you want to read more about Tainted Grail: Conquest here is list of interesting articles:
Tainted Grail: Conquest – Game Sheet
Your life as it was, is no more. You awake on hearing the voice of a goat person? Strange monsters are conjured and now you have to fight? Whats happening? Lets explore! And that exploration is kinda unique for a card based rogue-like. You can travel through the land and decide which fight to take and when. But if you take too much time the Wyrdness will come get you. A mist that will not let you escape.